More About Vision Recasting At River Recovery Church
Last week we described the vision for River Recovery Church. For purposes of review I put the River vision into this blog. Here it is:
We believe God has called the “River” to make disciples (followers of Jesus) by teaching them to obey all of His commands.
“Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20
Why the “River”?
• We believe Jesus has the answers to life’s problems. We all have problems that impact our lives. Often, when these problems get out of control, they can cause more serious problems. We need answers, and the answers are found in Jesus’ commands. We ask you to come and find out what He says and try it out. If it works — GREAT! YOU ARE ON THE ROAD TO HEALING! If you come away unconvinced that the answers work, you haven’t lost anything except a little time.
• We implement what Jesus says is true. At River Recovery Church we believe that Jesus created the universe and everything in it. He knows how things work. That puts Him in the best position to fix things that are broken, and He wants to do that. We just need to give Him a chance. Jesus said,
“Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. Revelation 3:20
Jesus is knocking. Do you hear Him? He wants to come in and spend time with us. So, open the door and invite Him in!
• We know that Jesus heals. One of Jesus’ favorite questions was, “What can I do for you?” Many people said they wanted to be healed. Jesus always responded, and He healed everyone who asked. You can expect the same from His as well – all you need to do is ask Him.
• We ask you to come to the “River”. We meet every Sunday at 11:00 am, and we also offer Celebrate Recovery every Friday night at 7:00 p.m.
Our Core Values
• We love God and we love our neighbors
“Jesus replied, ‘You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and your entire mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your NEIGHBOR as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:37-40
• We meet needs
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.” Matthew 25:34-36
OK, that’s the vision. Let’s talk about our plan to fulfill the vision.
We plan to identify needs in the community that we can meet. We will start in the immediate area around our church. There is a senior center located nearby, so we believe this is a good place to begin. To help identify ways to serve the people in this center, we are going to do the following:
1. Form a community outreach team. Members will be from River Recovery Church as well as people from the community who are interested.
2. Meet with the management of the center and tell them of our interest in helping the people in the complex. We will ask for their recommendations of what we can do.
3. We will ask permission from the management team in the center to send a letter to each resident. The letter will introduce our church and ask them to tell us areas where they need help.
4. As the seniors let us know about their needs, we will mobilize to meet them through our community outreach team.
5. And as we meet needs of the seniors, we will tell them about Jesus and invite them to the “River”.
At the “River” …
• We will preach the gospel.
• We will explain the commandments of Jesus.
• We will talk about how to be blessed by obeying them.
That’s our simple plan. If you have any comments or are interested in participating, let me know.….